Sunday, December 16, 2012

Backing it up

Moving to the back of the room...

I'll share some more pics soon, but following from the Friday/Saturday work of tearing out and rebuilding the subfloor in the front of the new living room, we basically rebuild the framing of the rear corner today, after some head-scratching to find a balance between a _flat_ floor, a _level_ floor, and a floor that meets the rear wall at nearly the same distance from the ceiling as up in the front of the room.  However, you can't (we decided, due to physics) have everything, so we selected our compromises and actually I think it will turn out really well. 

In case I haven't described it well yet, we're reworking some of the joists where needed, adding support and digging away dirt that's too near to the wood.  Then we're hanging two-inch, high-R-value rigid foam insulation flush to the surface, and laying OSB/plywood subfloors.  Should have the majority of the room finished tomorrow and fairly flat (plus very solid).  Then, a little space as we're hoping to have wallboard hung and plaster applied in the middle of the week!

Lots of new joist work, and some of the rigid foam insulation already in place.
You can see how much we ended up raising the floor level - the joists here are notched over the ledger board that originally was flush to the old subfloor - those are 2x6s, so we're quite a bit higher, with the floor yet to go on top.

No comments: